Monday, March 30, 2009

Jack in the Box Tacos

I LOVE Jack in the Box tacos!!!! Anyone else with me on that!?! The first thing I do before going out of town is check to see if they have a Jack in the Box. I grew up on those tacos and crave them all the time. So the other day after seeing my chicken and rice taco recipe, my mom sent me a recipe on how to make Jack in the Box tacos. ( She also sent a ton of other yummy restraunt recipes!) So I just HAD to make those tacos that night for dinner. My sweetheart husband went to the store and got me what I needed.

Well they were really really yummy but nothing can compare to Jack in the Box taco. I think it is the taco sauce they use or something. Anyway I would recommend this taco recipe, just don't go into it thinking it is going to taste just like J in the B tacos.

Jack in the Box Tacos

1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup Refried Beans
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup ortega mild taco sauce
12 soft corn tortillas
3 cups of cooking oil
6 slices American cheese (each cut in half)
1 head of lettuce, chopped fine

Slowly brown the beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and stir the meat, keeping it very fine and smooth. When the beef is brown, drain the fat. Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture creating a smooth texture. Add the salt, chili powder, and taco sauce to the mixture. Remove from the heat.

In another skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil unitl hot. Test with a small piece of tortilla-it should bubble when dropped into the oil. Spread beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla. Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together. Drop each taco in to the pan of hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy. When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler. Pry open slightly and add 1/2 slice of american cheese and some lettuce. Top with additional taco sauce to taste.

I took a picture of the tacos when they were done but can't find it right now. I will try to add it later. It always help me to see a picture when I am cooking something for the first time. ( My hubby thought I was a total nut case for taking a pic of our food!)

1 comment:

  1. Yea! You have a blog. I'm so happy that you post recipes too b/c I never know what to cook.

    ReplyDelete